A living, breathing urban oasis filled with fine waterfront restaurants, theatres, galleries, studios, unique shops, cafes and the most spectacular fresh food market you’ve ever seen. There is a vibrant and diverse mix of people and activities, and the destination is so dynamic that no visit to the city is complete without spending at least a day here. This is the place where locals and visitors come together to be inspired, to be entertained or simply to breathe in some of its unique atmosphere.
TOP MUST SEE AND DO:
Granville Island Public Market
Visit the Public Market – Browse the aisles and sample local and exotic flavours from the very best farmers, bakers, butchers and fishmongers. There are a variety of crafts galore and buskers too.
Treat the Little Ones – There’s plenty of fun for kids large and small, with the Kids Market selling all kinds of kids’ delights, the giant indoor Adventure Zone, magic, juggling, live turtles, party gifts, the Water Park, and lots more.
Catch a Show – From daring comedy to modern classic plays to contemporary theatrical productions and don’t forget the buskers dotted throughout the Island’s cobblestone streets.
Grab a Bite – Whether it’s a casual nibble or gourmet dining, you’ll discover why Granville Island is famous for its food. It’s also a great place to enjoy a drink with a friend or a date.
See some Art – Art on show, art for sale. See exhibitions from Emily Carr University of Art and Design nestled beside glassblowing, jewellery making and other artisans’ studios.
Ride a Boat – Take a rental boat around scenic English Bay or hop on an Aquabus or a False Creek Ferry for a quick jaunt around the False Creek Inlet. This is also the place for planning an unforgettable sea kayak adventure or whale watching tour.
Make your own Adventure – Take things at your own pace. Just pick up a map from the red information huts around the Island, and guide yourself around Granville Island and the surrounding city.
Brewery at Granville Island
Visit the Brewery – Time for a beer. The Granville Island Brewing Co. is British Columbia’s first “cottage” brewery. Take a tour or try more ales at the Dockside Restaurant at the Granville Island Hotel.
Festival at Granville Island
Attend a Festival – Don’t miss one of the Island’s regular festivals or events (music, wooden boats, performing arts, literature and food). Showcased at three theatres; the amazing Performance Works space, an outdoor amphitheatre and the unique Ocean Art Works. Festivals also take place in many outdoor spaces, studios, Emily Carr University and café’s.
The Maritime Market – Get closer to the Pacific. Sprawled across the southwest side of the Island, you’ll find boating supplies and clothing, tours and fishing, plus a handful of boat-builders at work.
Kids play area
A Day for the Kids
Kids Market – Kids Market is located on Granville Island in the heart of Vancouver. Kids Market is next to the pond at the entrance to Granville Island and has 28 shops, services and activities for children and their families. Kids Market is housed in an old factory which is over 100 years old. Shop and play indoors or enjoy the patio and play area beside the pond! Splash around in the water park that is right next door. For more information, please check out their website: www.kidsmarket.ca. Open daily 10am – 6pm.
Deciding whether to visit a hip and casual waterfront café, a top stylish restaurant or an ethnic snack from the market? Hmmm, that’s a tough one. There really is something rare about eating here; you’ll not only feel re-energized by the sumptuous food, but by the time spent away from the bustling city.
But don’t just think of it as a place to refuel while shopping or to unwind before catching a play. Dining here can also be a reason to visit all on its own:
Here are the lists of restaurants that you could check out in Granville Island:
- A La Mode – Located inside Public Market. This restaurant offers a wide selection of homemade sweet and savory pies.
- Agro Café – Located in the heart of Railspur Alley, the Agro Café is the place to go for organic eats and coffee, whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Armando’s Finest Quality Meats – Located in the Public Market. Armando’s is a full service meat shop, specializing in custom cuts and quality specialty products.
- Artisan Sake Maker – Artisan Sake Maker is the first boutique premium sake winery in Canada. Producing wine in small lots. Masa aspires to create new styles of sake to complement the seasonal flavours of local west coast foods. His wines may be purchased at his studio on Railspur Alley.
- Backstage Lounge – The Backstage Lounge is a funky, elegant space, a perfect venue not only for live music but fundraisers, birthdays, stag or stagettes. Their kitchen facilities offer an array of menu items to enjoy while taking in their waterfront and mountain views. Come join the Backstage Lounge for lunch or dinner any day of the week.
- Beanstalk Bistro – The Beanstalk Bistro is the place to go for refueling inside the kids Market. Choose from a variety of small meals and snacks that appeal to kids of all ages. They have hot dogs, cheese sandwich or something that appeals to all little tummies.
- Blue Parrot Espresso Bar – Relax with a cup of coffee, tea, or espresso and enjoy the view of False Creek at the Blue Parrot Espresso Bar.
- Bridges Bistro – Fine dining and casual fare are available at one of Vancouver’s best patios, with a fantastic view of False Creek and English Bay. The bistro features seafood, burgers, pizzas and the largest al fresco dining area in the city
- Candy Kitchen: Located in the Public Market, the Candy Kitchen is a sweet lover’s ultimate dream. Get your sugar-high in full swing with the wide assortment of tasty treats they have to offer in the form of bulk and pre-wrapped candies and chocolates. They also carry an assortment of collectible Pez dispensers
- Cats Social House – Cats Social House is dedicated to presenting exceptional cuisine in a stylish and unique setting. As test kitchen for Browns Restaurant Group, Chef Danny Markowicz provides fresh new ideas weekly. Shopping for ingredients at The Public Market, Danny creates delicious dishes from local farms and sustainable resources. Open for lunch, dinner and weekend brunch
- Celine’s Fish and Chips – Located in the Public Market. Celine’s offers only the finest fist the ocean has to offer. Enjoy the classic cod and chips or try something a little more adventurous, like deep fried oysters or calamari. Lots of selection and lots of flavour – a seafood lover’s dream.
- ChocolaTas – ChocolaTas offers you a wide range of hand designer chocolate. Traditional and original flavors are on the menu with the one invariable; the quality. They specialize in customized gourmet gifts to pamper your guest or yourself.
- Curry2U – Curry2U brings a touch of spice to the everyday. They serve healthy, heart-smart Indian dishes, and while carnivores crave our butter chicken, many of our most popular dishes are vegetarian and in some cases, vegan
- Dockside Restaurant – The Dockside exudes urban dash and sparkle. Watch as their chefs prepare familiar favourites with unfamiliar brilliance. The heart of the kitchen is our wood fired grill, rotisserie and forno. Perfect for any size group from 4 to 200. Open seven days a week serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, reservations recommended.
- Duso’s Italian Foods – Large variety of spices, cheese, pasta, dips and ready-to-eat food for sale.
- Dussa’s Ham and Cheese – Cheese and sliced meats ready to eat
- Edible British Columbia – Edible British Columbia is a culinary events company with a market store in the Public Market on Granville Island entirely dedicated to local artisan products, providing customers with products previously available only at the farm or in regional stores. Gourmet crackers, jams, chutney, cheeses, chocolates, and unique culinary tools. Visit the tasting bar and try before you buy
- Finest at Sea – Finest at Sea recognized the need for a source of top quality all wild seafood products of known origin. Combined with state of the art processing, storage facilities, transportation and delivery systems, the ‘Finest At Sea’ products are a phone call away).
For the list of other restaurants, please check out the Granville Island website.
ARTS AND CULTURE
Granville Island has always been such a unique haven for creativity. And just when you think you understand why, something comes along and takes you completely by surprise. Day or night, young or old, you can always find an eclectic mix of festivals, theatre, street performers, musical shows and art exhibits, many of which are created in the island’s hidden studios and rehearsal spaces.
Here are the lists of clubs/theatre that you could check out in Granville Island:
- Ainsworth Custom Design – Custom metal fabrication shop, specializing in furniture. Mediums include stainless steel, copper, brass, wrought iron, and aluminum. They often combine their works with other contemporary materials including, glass, wood, marble, and fabric. Experienced in residential and commercial installations of signs, security gates, stainless steel kitchen components and spiral staircases
- Arts Club Theatre Company – The Arts Club Theatre Company is a not-for-profit organization which produces professional live theatre in Vancouver and operates three theatres on a year round basis – The Stanley Theatre, the Granville Island Stage, and the New Revue Theatre. Their popular productions range from musicals and contemporary comedies to new works and classics
- Carousel Theatre Company & School – Carousel Theatre Company produces enlightening and inspiring theatre for young people and their families. We also offer fun and creative acting courses for thespians ages 3 to 16 years. Our talented instructors are professional actors and directors who are also fabulous teachers
- Circle Craft Co-op – Circle Craft Co-Operative features the work of craftspeople from across British Columbia. Circle Craft has been a major force in promoting the work of craftspeople in British Columbia since 1972. For every season of giving, the Shop and Gallery features a wide selection of contemporary and traditional craft in clay, glass, fibre, wood, metal and mixed media – our Gallery hosts monthly exhibitions.
- Darcus Gallery – Jack Darcus has been painting and exhibiting in Vancouver, Eastern Canada, and Europe since 1964. In recent years he has presented a series of landscapes in egg tempera, the medium he loves best. Using this medium he creates beautifully detailed paintings that are comprised of thousands of tiny brush-strokes. Visit the studio to see his work and have a chat with the artist
- Dundarave Print Workshop – Incorporated as a cooperative, non-profit society since 1971, Dundarave Print Workshop, (DPW), is an artists’ studio and gallery dedicated to contemporary fine art printmaking. Located in the Net Loft building, amidst Vancouver’s vibrant Granville Island community, DPW offers professional facilities for intaglio, relief-based printmaking. Our 30 members show in our gallery at the same location.